This little number didn’t take long at all – I cut it out in one of my cutting binge sessions last month, and voila, it’s ready to wear! Using what seems to be a wool/synthetic blend, a vintage fabric find from my favourite hospice shop, one of nana’s purple zippers, and thread from mums stash, this was a breeze.
Please excuse the vertical creases! The fabric is medium weight and feels lovely, drapes nicely, and the colour is a richer, darker purple than the photograph conveys. I particularly loved the look of the front panel. I made only minor adjustments, running the bodice in a centimeter, under the arms, tapering off to the waist.
I tried a new technique with this dress, the over lapped zip, as I had no invisible colour co-ordinating full length zippers in the stash I used a pale purple regular zipper, which as not a tricky as I first thought it may be. Also a neat and tidy mitered corner on the overlapping panel, an easy technique I’ll use again.
Besides pulling a touch at the back, I find the fit good, and it’s a comfortable little number to wear. And I love the colour!
I’m enjoying your vintage sewing adventures very much – this dress is my favourite!
Great! Thanks Norma.