Slowly getting on and finishing off projects that have been abandoned for sometime, this one has been in the project pile for a couple of years! Simplicity 6220, made from a length of unused vintage curtaining which I found in an op shop, the curtain was lined, and in mint condition. It was asking to be made into a sweet little cocktail frock.
I used the existing lining to line the bodice, it was a lightweight cotton, which had shrunk a little, so I used some polyester lining fabric from my stash for the skirt.
I had a little trouble with the fabric, I was a little stretched in areas, the weave is easy to snag, so I did a bit of manipulation as I went to make it work. I also had just enough for a small hem, so that was also a bit of a challenge!
Getting it all to line up.
I was unsure the colour would really work, it was just long enough for me to add a false hem, just! And it is a touch shorter than I would otherwise have made it, but I love it anyway, and look forward to getting this frock out over summer.
Here are a few details.
I love the triangle shaped center bodice piece, such a flattering shape, and a little different.
I think the fabric has great body, and works really well with the pleats and lines of the bodice.
I’m wearing nana’s hat and imitation pearls, plus some cream vintage gloves.
Nice to get this one out for some fresh air.