Vintage Vogue 273, the Noir 40s dress
Vintage Vogue 273, quite a special little number, very simple and elegant. I can see how this era influenced the 1980s, can’t you? I fell in love with this pattern, but was a little intimidated by it!
I did a quick toile of this dress, using a sheet…then quickly cut in to this piece of fabric I had been considering for this project for a while. It is curtain fabric, I think, it has a heavy-ish feel, lovely cool to touch, a soft drape and slightly glossy grey sheen. Unusual, but I thought it would work, in the back of my mind was the thought that it just might be a bit too heavy for the drapes and folds to work…
All laid out to cut.
This dress was quick and relatively simple to make, no new techniques to use, just a different bodice shape, and much longer skirt than I have made before. I lined the bodice using a remnant of some lovely soft cotton, which has crayfish on it, cute!
I was really unsure if those glamourous folds around the hips at the front of the dress would be flattering in real life, so I was really happy to see that it works well. I really, really love this dress, I can’t wait to make another one (perhaps a shorter skirt?) or even just another full length version in perhaps a stunning dark red or green? I love it. But then I’d need cocktail parties, at least every week, you know? So perhaps just one….
This is also the lowest backed dress I have made, like lower than bra level, and I was a little concerned about whether I’d need to add any structural support. The pattern instructions didn’t call for any, and the high neck line seems to help it all stay in shape. Did I say how much I love this dress…?
I accessorised with my nana’s vintage fascinator with net, kid gloves, and some pretty vintage earrings also nana’s! Check out the box:
“J. R. MacQueen, Quality Jeweller Blenheim”, earrings and a necklace, which I don’t wear often enough….
Back to the dress! The back skirt panels are extra flared, adding lovely folds to the back, and more lovely draping – I did worry that the fabric would add a lot of extra bulk and weight at the back, but I think it works ok. I made self covered buttons for the back, with loops, I also added a waist stay inside to help hold the weight of the skirt. It still sits somewhat out from my waist at the back, which is probably also exacerbated by my slight sway back.
The inverted ‘V’ front panel and the folds at the front…
So sculptural. It actually was not quite as simple as I may have said…making sure the folds were going the right way did require a couple of attempts at basting in place, checking the fall etc was as it should be. But I’ll put that out of my mind so I’ll dive straight into another make…
Oh and that skirt! The back is so lovely!
I like the simple elegance of the dress, really simple pleats, and the folds in the skirt work really well.
Oh and check out the shoes! I picked them up at the Very Vintage Day Out, NZ$20, 30s or 40s brocade heels…score!
The pattern called for shoulder pads, but I was a child in the 80s and….I’m kind of terrified of shoulder pads! I made some, tried them but I’m not sure they’re right for me or the dress.
This is a special make for the Vintage Pledge, my first completed Special Couturier pattern.